Monday, February 23, 2009

Easy BBQ Pulled Pork.

I'm a vegetarian, but my FI is a meatatarian. I usually cook 50/50 vegetarian meals and meat meals during the week. When I cook meals with meat, I make a veg dish and cook the meat in another pan and add it to Mike's plate while serving. THIS is his favorite of my recipes. He could seriously eat it everyday for a week. I love making it for him because its CHEAP and easy. When I make this for him, I usually just throw a veggie burger in the microwave and put it on a bun for myself. I hadn't made it in a while because we haven't had room in our freezer for a pork roast.

Prep Time: 5 mins before cooked, 5 mins after cooked
Cook Time: 8 hours
Price: About $10

Pork Roast: $7
BBQ Sauce: $1
Rootbeer: $0.67
Buns: $1

BBQ Pulled Pork
Feeds.. a lot. LOL.

Ingredients:
  • Approx 5lb Pork Roast (I use the picnic roast because it's boneless and comes in halves)
  • 1/2-1 liter of Rootbeer (I just use Walmart brand, it's cheap and gets the job done)
  • Brown Sugar
  • EVOO
  • BBQ sauce
  • Burger buns

Directions:

  • Picnic roast usually comes wrapped in a net, remove from net. If it is not already cut into two pieces, slice roast down the middle to form two halves.
  • Rinse pork under cold water to wet surface.
  • Rub on a little EVOO and enough Brown Sugar to cover.
  • Place roast halves side by side in crockpot
  • Cover with Rootbeer. You can use as must as you'd like. I prefer to cover the roast completely.
COOK ON HIGH FOR 8-9 HOURS
  • Once roast is done, turn Crockpot OFF.
  • Remove pot (using oven mits!) and drain excess Rootbeer. You can either dump it, or drain into another container to use with BBQ sauce.
  • Place pot back in Crockpot and turn onto "Warm"
  • Shred pork with a fork. It will be tender enough to fall right apart with little effort.
  • Mix in your BBQ sauce
I usually serve this on buns w/ garlic spread for easy handling, but you can serve it on it's own, as a side dish, however you'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment